02 December 2009

Obama's Speech on Afghanistan



This is worth your time to listen to.

3 comments:

Adam said...

Taliban reunion Fall 2011?

soli said...

So, I haven't had the chance to listen to this fully (I do intend to), but I did hear Rachel Maddow's response, which I thought was intriguing. What are your thoughts? Is Obama continuing to Bush Doctrine? Should we be at war in Pakistan, not Afghanistan?
Finally, do you think Obama's 3 year timeframe is reasonable or too long?

Brett Ellingson said...

I don't agree with Rachel Maddow on this one. It doesn't sound like he's continuing the Bush doctrine; It's a troop surge with a pre-set expiration date (withdrawals to begin in July 2011). The war in Afghanistan is against the Taliban and Al Qaida, who did attack us, and I think we owe Afghanistan a good-faith effort to bring stability. But if things don't improve (especially on the local governance side), we get out anyway.

As far as Pakistan goes, there is a problem because Pakistan's government is incompetent and it has nukes. I don't know what the right policy is. If I go purely on my prejudices, in choosing between two evils, I'd have to pick the Obama Administration CIA over religious fanatics bent on murder/suicide.

I could probably be persuaded to see the other way fairly easily though.