People like this drive me nuts. I understand why he's worried, but his high-horse attitude is ridiculous. He wants to keep extracting monopoly profits from his books and is apparently willing to retard technological advance to make sure he can do that. I'm prejudiced towards the opinion that most authors worth reading would have written regardless of copyright laws. Dan Brown (assuming generously for a moment that he is worth reading) may not have become a millionaire, but it is far from obvious that he would have made nothing. But leaving that aside, boycotting technology won't make it go away. It will only make you adapt badly to it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Not to rain on Mr. Alexie's tirade, nor to make over broad generalization, but the general belief in the digital industry is that those who are afraid to adapt are the ones who don't make money. He quotes the music industry as if it's lauded and embraced the digital transition: it hasn't. And to be frank, musicians have hardly ever made money off of album sales, their labels do. They've always made money from touring, i.e. the "human element."
If he's that concerned about it--which, I don't know why he is, I don't know how many people know of him--than he will eventually lose. End of story.
Post a Comment